Three packed days, three great adventures
- Eve: Arrive at accommodation in the evening.
- Day 1: Up to 100km of Bike Trails + accommodation, bike hire, breakfast, lunch & restaurant dinner.
- Day 2: Dunes day – 13 miles of dunes + accommodation, breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Day 3: Pen Y Fan – A taste of The Fan Dance + breakfast & lunch.
After a challenging day on the bikes, we’ll get immersed in the local feel in a very Welsh little pub/restaurant for dinner to relax and wind down and get briefed for the day ahead. In-house meals will be provide for the rest of the stay (plus a few games of pool of course (yes we have a pool table!).
*Alleriges/Intolerances : Please let me know if there is anything you cannot/do not eat.
Feel free to fire over any questions you have that aren’t covered below.
Accommodation location: – Cymmer, Port Talbot SA13 3LT – Map Location
We kick off the weekend with a warm-up session of trail biking over some of the 100km of tracks around the fantastic Afan Forest. This will get your heart pumping as you push up the many climbs and adrenalin racing as you coast back down again, taking in some fantastic technical trails. The more bike experience you get, the more you’ll enjoy this. The routes are broken into short and long, easy to hard options. This day can be as easy or hard as you make it, but the views and trails are amazing and they offer some great cakes too!
“Some of the best singletrack descents in the UK”
· Dinner (self-catered/local pub-restaurant),
· Chats, Q&A, swapping of training/racing stories between the group,
· Kit checks and brief for day 2,
· Footcare demo (for those interested and not squeamish of feet)
· Short presentation/talk from me about my personal and witnessed desert and endurance experiences.
· Own time. Read, watch TV, play pool, catch up on emails….
Parking at the end of Merthyr Mawr Rd at the foot of The Big Dipper.
- Day Pack including 1L water – (will have top-ups in the cars)
- Trail shoes/hiking boots – if you have an event coming up, bring the shoes you plan to run in.
- Trekking Poles if you have them (not essential, but will definitely help).
- Spare socks & shoes (feet may get wet)
- Waterproofs – Welsh weather can be sneaky.
- Footcare / first aid packs
- Breakfast, Lunch & bottled water provided
- Bring your own optional snacks – gels, powders, jerky, salt tabs, sweets etc
Evening: Return to lodgings for shower, change, dinner, debrief chats, wind down or and/or private time.
Day 3 – The Finisher
Run/march to the summit of Pen Y Fan (886m) taking on sections of the notorious Fandance, used as part of the SAS selection process.
The Fandance has both a summer and winter event, in winter this mountain can be a very different beast, but with equally stunning views. If you’re feeling exceptionally tough at this stage, the course can be repeated with a loaded pack, as per the Fandance requirements (25lb/35lb/45lb)
· Day pack with 1L water (minimum) – (top-ups in the cars)
· Trail shoes/trekking boots
· Trekking poles optional – bring these if you plan to use them for an upcoming event.
· OPTIONAL loaded ascents 15-20kg Bergen/Backpack for a real taste of the Fandance, SAS selection style up-and-down challenge within the day – there may be actual military on the route doing this on the day.
o Let me know if you fancy this – I can load up spare packs, or you can train towards this with your own pack in the weeks leading up to it if you have a large pack you’re comfortable with. I can offer guidance on this training approach. You can load that up with weights/water bottles wrapped in towels. (Spread the weight, but try to load most towards the middle/top of the bag.)
- Waterproofs – Possible rain
- Gloves if cold/wet
- Footcare/first aid pack
- Change of clothes/shoes to drive home in.
- Breakfast, Lunch & drinks provided
- Snacks, gels, powders, optional, bring what you get on with.
Hometime! – take water for the drive home
All included: Three nights accommodation, all meals, three packed days of challenging activities and coaching, bike and helmet hire:
Total cost: £395 – £100 deposit to secure a space, remaining sum required at least one month before date of the event. Instalment options available.
More info on our accommodation:
- 3 bedrooms
- 11 beds
- 2 bathrooms + 3rd WC
- Great location – 93% of recent guests gave the location a 5-star rating.
- Sparkling clean – 10 recent guests said this place was sparkling clean.
Set in the heart of the beautiful Afan valley, we welcome bikers, hikers, pets, families and long stay workers. The apartment can sleep up to 11 people with triple beds in one room and 4 single beds in two room. There are 3 toilets and 2 showers. Stunning views out of all the windows of Rhiw- lech Mountain. A fully equipped open plan kitchen and living room. We have a pool table, Xbox 360 with games and smart 4” Ultra HD TV, Netflix and Free WiFi.
Just 5 min walk from The Refreshment Rooms pub & restaurant. (We will eat here on the first night) This large flat has just one step into the property and is perfect for large families, bikers, walkers, workers and persons who struggle with steps. We have a pool table, Xbox 360 with games, board games for those rainy days. Each room comes with its own mini fridge, clock radio and bedside lamps.
Guest access Off street parking